Thursday, August 30, 2018
Review: Hidden Among The Stars
As you all may know, I am a fan of World War 2 fiction. I constantly learn new things about the war when I google a name or site location or a phrase from this time period. I thought this was a good book. It's not a favorite but it did make my cry at the very end.
This book is told in two time periods. The first is the past in 1938 and then present day. The past chapters are set in Austria and focuses on our 3 main characters Max, Annika, and Luzia. Luzia is our Jewish character and Max is in love with her. Annika is the caretaker's daughter of Max's family's estate and she is in love with Max. Love triangle. BLEH!! The present day is set in Ohio and our main character from this time is Callie. She owns a bookshop with her sister and is obsessed with finding Mr. Right and love and settling down because she's 30.
Also, this book is very Christian heavy and I did skip some parts while reading because the author took passages from kids books that were mentioned in the story and analyzed them and it was very boring.
I loved the past chapters and didn't care for the present day chapters. Every time something exciting started to happen in the past chapters, the chapter would end and start a present day chapter. It was very frustrating. I disliked Callie characters because she was basically a woman scorned who didn't make it to the altar because her fiance fell in love with another woman instantly. Every man she sees or family she sees, she gets jealous very quickly and whines about why couldn't that be her, but that she doesn't need love because she has books. then the process starts all over again.
I think the author could have left out all the children's book passages and analyzing and the constant biographies of the Jewish authors. They did nothing for the story. This is the first book that I skimmed through part because the present main character was such a sob.
Thanks to Tyndale House Publishers for sending me a copy of this book to review.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin
DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...
-
I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am goi...
-
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl . This week is a freebie prompt so I am going to be sharing m...
-
This outfit is called lazy day . I made this set just on a whim. I saw the socks while I was watching an episode of Pit Bulls and Parolees,...

No comments:
Post a Comment