Friday, April 14, 2023

Review: Shattered Midnight by Dhonielle Clayton



 The sequel to one of my favorite books from last year. I couldn't wait to get to this one because I am a fan of generational family stories. This takes place years after the events of the first book Broken Wish by Julie C Dao and this one was good, but it was not like the first one. I loved that there were mentions of Mathilda and Agnes and Hanau, Germany. 

This one takes place in New Orleans and I am quickly finding myself considering New Orleans a place that is top of my bucket list. I felt that I was there in New Orleans because of the descriptive settings and also I did read this in the middle of a heat wave, so it was fitting. 

It does have the plot of race. Our main character Zora is of mixed race but she is considered black because she passes more black than white. She is originally from New York, but her mother sent her to New Orleans to hide because she cannot control her magic and she ends up killing her mother's white employer.

She ends up staying with her high society aunt and her two daughters and this is where the fairy tale aspect comes into play because it is not exactly Cinderella evil stepmother and step sisters but it is close enough. Zora has to become a debutante and become a good little girl who needs to find a husband to take care of her. She is matched with a good son whose family owns a cotton company. But along the way Zora becomes entangled with a white boy who is from Agnes' side of the family from Broken Wish and the towns people call the family cursed.

Like I said, I enjoyed reading this but it didn't grab my attention like the first one and also race problems. How Zora was treated and just looked down upon and hated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...