Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Martian Book & Movie Review

I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am going to start with the book first and then movie.

I requested this book from the library because I needed a book published by Random House to use for a house party activity. I decided for this one because I kept hearing great reviews for the movie and I wanted to read the book first before watching the movie. This book was amazing. It was heart wrenching, suspenseful, and anxiety rush all wrapped into one. I loved the different points of views and the comedy and humor that Mark Watney creates during his isolation on Mars.

One thing that caught me off guard and I kept getting confused was all the scientific talk, but it made sense to the story. My favorite part was when he did the Fonz pose for the picture that NASA had requested. One thing not about the story was that this book started out as self published. That is an amazing thing to have your book to start off self published, then picked up by a major publisher and then the rights bought to make it a major motion picture.

The book was amazing, but the big problem I had with it was the ending. It just stopped after he was rescued....like what happens next. Does he adapt by to life in Earth. How he is handled by the government along with the rest of the crew for doing the mutiny and going against orders.

Now I am going to review the movie.

Before I read the book, I was not going to watch this movie what so ever, because I don't like Matt Damon's acting. I have never liked any of his movies and I don't know why. But after reading the book, I HAD to watch the movie. Right off the bat, everything about the movie was different. The number of SOL's was higher and the HAB was not what I pictured. But the storm part was better than I imagined and the whole story after that seemed right. But it didn't have certain parts in the book like him hiding in the Rover after he found out that the HAB could blow up from the hydrogen in the air.

Also, it didn't show him going into the dust storm and going around the crater which I think was a huge part of the story. They just should him on track and then boom, he is at the ARES 4 sight with no complications. I also think they could have done a little bit more CGI to his body to make it look a little bit thinner and show muscle loss like in Gravity at the end when Sandra Bullock was finally back on Earth and her legs were thing as rails, we didn't get any of that.

Also the rescue part was a major let down because it wasn't like the book at all, and him casually saying he had broken ribs but then going out into space and laughing and smiling back in the ship is not the way one would act if dealing with broken ribs. The rescue scene in the book was better than the movie. But I love the ending to the movie where they show him as an instructor for new recruits at NASA and how the crew members were watching the ARES 5 launch with their families and Martinez going back to Mars. The casting for this movie was good, but I think someone else would have been better to play Mark Watney... Matt Damon just didn't fit the role.

I will say that this is another book to movie adaptation that I like equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...