Another duology done this year. I really liked these books as a whole, but this one did lag a bit. I gave the first book a 4 star and I give this one a 3. There were times where I started to zone out and I was getting bored of the same conversations being had over and over and then the action would start, and I wouldn't want it to end.
This picks up right where the first left off with Davi becoming the Dark Lord and all of the wilders screaming Death to the Humans.. which freaks her the hell out. She doesn't want to kill the humans because duh... she is one, so she makes a decision to leave the horde with Tsav and leave some of her closest confidants in charge to order the horde around while Davi hightails it to the Kingdom to warn the Prince.. who by the way is her ex himbo boyfried. Also, the amount of time we are reminded that Prince Johann is her himbo ex boyfriend is RIDICULOUS!
Davi and Tsav eventually reach the kingdom and Davi is confronted with someone else on the throne. Duke Aster is now on the throne in the Prince's place because the Prince is now a married man to the Duke's nerdy cousin Matthias. Davi doesn't know how to feel about this and she is suspicious of Matthias until he proves himself by helping Tsav in the library with research on one of the founders.
They go on battles against wilders and Davi eventually lets Prince Johann and Matthias that she is the Dark Lord. Meanwhile, everything has fallen apart with the horde and in her absence, Sibrarae has taken over and is marching on the Kingdom.
Shit hits the fan and then Davi tries to get everything under control and it works when the cowardly Duke turns up to ruin it. This book contained so much whiplash that I was constantly putting it down and then picking it back up.
I do now have another favorite quote of all time. It is when Davi learns that Johann is now married.
"Johann is my himbo boyfriend! Grr, hiss, invasion of territory, bark bark bark. Maybe I should piss on him to make it clear"
Like I mentioned earlier, I did enjoy this but by the ending I was ready for it to be over and solved. It just repeated itself to much and once it was revealed who the big bad actually is and why the time loop thing was a thing, it was like beating a dead horse.
I will definitely be reading more from Django Wexler.

No comments:
Post a Comment