Monday, May 8, 2023

Review: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

 


I have another favorite non fiction book that I need to purchase for my shelves. I am obsessed with nonfiction that reads like fiction and is not boring. I loved this because it made me laugh and I want to try so of the recipes that were included. 

I have always heard of this author's name and a book called The Poisonwood Bible and I found it at a Goodwill and purchased it and it is currently sitting on my TBR shelf. Back in November, I started watching a Youtuber called acre homestead and I got into homesteading and wanting to grow my own plants and garden and have a freezer full of meat and things that I have grown. 

That sent me down a homesteading research rabbit hole where every blog and youtuber captured my attention. I saw this book on someone's wishlist and the author's name jumped out at me. I immediately went to my library's website and requested it and when I got it home, it sat on my shelf for a month a a half and I was going to return it without reading it because I couldn't renew it anymore and I told myself it looks boring. Well, I hate returning books to the library and not have read them. So I looked on Hoopla and it was available on audio and I got it and started reading along with it and I am so glad I decided to buckle down and read it.

The book is narrated by Barbara Kingsolver and Camille Kingsolver and it was great. This book is about a year in their lives where they move from Arizona to West Virginia and they have their own garden and livestock and they decided to eat seasonally and not purchase out of season produce because of environmental concerns and prices. 

It also goes into detail and their livestock, especially their turkeys and turkey sex. Turkey sex is something I didn't know that I needed to know. My husband was interested and the days after I let him listen to that section of book, he was asking me what happened with the turkeys? Have they been mentioned again? lol.

I highly recommend this even if you are not into gardening or homesteading. It also goes into health talk and environmental concerns and carbon footprints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...