Finally continuing this series. I thought Stalking Jack The Ripper was ok and I really like Dracula retellings but dislike the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. I did have the mindset that if I did not like this one, I would not continue with the series and I would get rid of the first book of my shelf. I really liked this. I gave it 4 stars.
Audrey Rose and Thomas are on their way to Romania to attend an academy of medicine and forensics at Bran Castle. Home of Vlad Dracul or Vlad The Impaler. They are on journeying on a train when there is a murder on board. There has been a murder in the village close to Bran Castle where the victim was impaled with a stake. So tensions are already highand during this time Audrey Rose is having constant visions and hallucinations are bodies coming up out of the ground and bodies reanimating and she is constantly thinking about Jack the Ripper and reminding herself that he is no longer alive.
That was one of the things that annoyed me was the constant mention of Jack the ripper and comparisons. And of couse with this being set in the late 1880's there is sexism and Audrey Rose is trying to stand on her own feet, but she is getting belittled by the headmaster who is a total knob and also Thomas keeps trying to protect her and it is just not going well.
We get some new information that there are two major bloodlines from Dracula and the Dracul family. We learn that our main man Thomas Cresswell is the last male heir to Vlad the Impaler himeself. He doesn't want anyone to know and the current Prince to Romania who is of the other bloodline knows Thomas' secret and they dislikes each other immediately.
We learn about the Order of the Dragon and there are vampire bats, spiders, and wolves involved. The Romanian superstitions and legends is what kept me engaged and I really like that when Audrey Rose and Cresswell were having close encounters and wanting to kiss and just being in close proximity without the deed, that she called him Prince Dracula and that is what made me decide to keep reading the series.
When that line was said, I immediately thought of the Johnathan Rhys Meyers show Dracula and pictured him as Cresswell in the past scenes of that show. I hate that the show got canceled but that is besides the point.
I can read the rest of the series and still picture him like that and I hope that she will mention the prince title as some sort of pillow talk or flirty tease on the ship to America.

No comments:
Post a Comment