Monday, September 8, 2025

Review: The Boyfriend by Freida McFadden *SPOILERS*

 


Freida McFadden is a fomo for me. I have been wanting to read her books for a while, but she puts out so many and she is a very polarizing author. People love her and people hate her writing. I have heard that she used Ai to write her books and while reading this, I was trying to keep an open mind, but there were just paragraphs of scientific text that read like a copy and paste from a search research. It did not sound like the character at all.

The only reason I picked this up was because I wanted to complete a goodreads challenge for one of the bookmarks. I ended up giving this 4 stars because it did keep me interested. I was more interested in the Tom chapters. I was talking to my hubby and telling him about this book and the main female character's name completely slipped my mind. That has to tell you how flat and basic a character she was. I did not like her a bit. She was such a bland character that she could have been a piece of printer paper.

The book starts with a Tom chapter and how he is obsessed with this girl named Daisy and how he has loved her since he was 4 years old and that he wonders how her neck would feel in his hands. Right away, the book gives away suspense. But we have more character growth from Tom than Sydney. Sydney is the bland printer paper and she is on a date with this guy who is just a god awful person. He tries to sexuall assault her and Tom saves the day. She is immediately attracted to Tom. Like how does that happen. You are almost raped by one guy and then you are saved by a mysterious guy and you instantly have the hots for him. 

The Tome chapters are set when he was in high school and he has an abusive dad and he only has one best friend. His friend is a guy named Slug and he is a peeping Tom. Tom gets into a relationship with Daisy and her friend Allison is against it. She tries to blackmail Tom into breaking up with Daisy or she is going to tell her that Tom was last seen kissing the missing girl Brandi, who eventually turns up dead.

Throughout the Tome chapters, we get more and more hints that maybe Slug is behind the deaths of Brandi and evetually Allison. I mean he does help get rid of Tom's dad's body. Sydney finds her friends body slashed and mutilated and she thinks it is a slew of people. Her ex is on the case solely because she lives in the building which is a conflict of interest but that is not a plot point. Sydney gets so fed up with her ex because there has been no arrest in the murder. She starts dating again and she sees the mysterious guy again one day when she is on a date and has a horrible nosebleed.

We learn Tom is the mysterious guy and they start going on dates. Months go by and Syney is starting to get suspicious because Tom's lies are unraveling. He refuses to meet her friends and go to the same place twice. He has two different phones. She eventually learns that he was the one dating her murdered friend.

So much shit goes down and we learn who the real killer is in the past and present chapters and they are the same person. At the end of the Tom chapters, I was so sure that it would be Slug behind the killings because his character description reminded me of Real Kevin, the guy who tried to rape and kept stalking Sydney. Tom makes a weird decision at the end and him and the killer never get caught.

The Tom chapters are what made this book for me and if they weren't included, I don't think I would have finished this or given it the rating I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...