Monday, January 19, 2026

Review: Brigands and Breadknives by Travis Baldree

 


This was one of my most anticipated books of last year and I am not a fan. It took me over a week to read because it was just so boring. I loved Fern in Bookshops and Bonedust and was looking forward to her being with Viv again. That is not the case. She has left her bookstore in Murk because she is feeling lost. She talks to Viv and decides to open a bookstore in Thune. Viv and Cal and Tandri help secure a location and also get the place up and running. 

It is not mentioned how long the store was open, maybe a day before Fern got piss drunk because she was still unhappy. She decides to talk to Viv about it, but ends up chickening out and crawling into the back of a random wagon and passing out. She wakes up face to face with a goblin who is prisoner. She crawled into the wagon belonging to the legendary oathmaiden, Astryx One Ear. She is a legendary elf who has fought countless battles and has numerous books about her. 

Astryx is taking the goblin who is named Zyll in to collect the biggest bounty ever. The problem is that Astryx, who is over a thousand years old cannot understand the goblin language. Fern can and she then gets to stay with the two of them and try to find a way to get back to Thune. 

It is a long boring adventure with some battle and action scenes, but they are few and far between. I found myself skimming the overly description scenes of the landscapes and the woods and the clothing. I could care less. I did really love Astryx elder blade Nigel and the breadknife that Zyll pulls out of her pocket. He is also an elder blade that unfortunately got turned into a breadknife by the forger because of beef between them. I found every scene with these two blades hilarious and it is what kept me reading.

I think that there is no more to this world that can be written about and if there is another book, then I would have to be a big fan of the characters or it just be about Viv once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...