Monday, June 22, 2026

Review: Trust by Hernan Diaz

 


I have had this book on my radar since it came out and I found a copy at Goodwill a year ago. I picked this up this month because it fulfills two Goodreads reading challenges for the spring. When I read the synopsis, I was confused because it says the first story is based on a book about a character in this. So I start thinking that this is a nonfiction and I do some research. 

I had to wrap my head around the fact that the author created a fake book to be able to advance this story and Bonds is not a real book. So Bonds the "book" is about a guy named Benjamin Rask. He is an only child living in New York with his parents who are socialites and big wigs. Benjamin is great with math and he becomes a stock trader or something like that, I kept thinking of him as a day trader.

He becomes filthy rich and he gets marries to a woman named Helen. Helen has just come back from Europe with her parents and she finds that she is the perfect fit for Benjamin because he keeps to himself and only makes appearances in public to keep his status up. Helen then becomes ill and it is similar to what ailment her father had, and she goes back to Europe to the sanitorium that her and her mom put him in.

The second story in this book is the"real" Bejamin Rask. His name is Arthur Bevel and it is basically a retelling of the first story Bonds, except names weere changed and the attitude towards family and social events were totally different.

The third story is about Arthur told through the eyes of a woman named Ida and he is trying to clear his and his wife's name from a defamatory book called Bonds by Harold Vanner. Bevel hires Ida to takes his dictation so she can write his autobiography. The whole time while reading this, I got Donald Trump vibes and it gave me the ick. We also get Ida's life story and how she is the daughter who an anarchist Italian immigrant father who tells stories and maybe embellish some to make himself sound tough. He gets angry when something doesn't go his way. 

Ida eventually gets an apartment from Bevel because he wants her to be close so they can finish the book. He dies of a heart attack before that and we also get future timeline of Ida as an older woman and she is finally able to learn more about Arthur's wife Mildred. She learns that he has narrated her completely wrong and he took all the credit for her ideas. While Ida is looking through all the paperwork that has become available since the estate of the Bevel's became a museum. Ida finds a hidden diary of Mildred's and she takes it.

The fourth and final story is the diary. It is very chaotic and it is her thoughts and routine during her stay in the sanitorium in Europe. She is dealing with cancer and it is her final thoughts. She also puts down that she told Arthur how to beat the ticker tape and he eventually does it making him an enormous fortune and she calles him a criminal and they don't talk for two years. That was surprising because throughout the book, we are led to believe that they were close and didn't have any qualms. 

It shows that trust was not there in the marriage and it makes the reader question, can we really trust the government and the federal reserves and the stock markets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...