Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Review: Gilded Cage by Vic James


Samantha's second Litpick Review book came in a couple weeks ago and it is Tarnished City by Vic James and I didn't realize it was second in a series. So, I picked this book up real quick from the library and gave Sammy a re-captains like review on the characters and what happened in this on, since she is kind of on a dead line to read the second book.

This book is about the Hadley family who live in Great Britain and they are starting their slave days. Slave days last for 10 years and you have to do it if you want to be a complete citizen and hold certain jobs. The family plans for all of them to go to the head Equals house to complete their 10 years. Equals are the aristocrats who have magical abilities and are basically Untouchable. When the family gets picked up, only 4 are going to the palace and find out that Luke got transferred to Millmoor, the harshest slave town.

The chapters are told in multiple POV's and it was confusing keeping the Jardine brothers separate. The prologue is also kind of annoying. We are told right away that Silyen fathered a baby with a slave girl and then shoots her. We learn her name and she is mentioned throughout the book as slave girl. If you give someone a name, use it. There wasn't anything else about her that she died in a "hunting" accident and that is repeated several times.

Overall, I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars. I took a star away because Luke and his older sister Abi were coming up with these plans on escaping and there thought processes were just dumb as hell. They completely forgot that their trackers were still in their arms and that they could hitch a ride and get help because of their age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...