Saturday, March 2, 2019

Review: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes


Finally giving this book a proper read now that I am an adult and have a little more sense and knowledge about the world. Back in 6th or 7th grade, I don't really remember, this book was on a list of summer reading that I had to do. This was the first book on the list and I chose it because I didn't care. I didn't finish the book, I only got 40 pages in before putting it down and I never did the assignment.

I was turned off by the writing style and how the character talked and now that I am aware of how it is supposed to be, I was not as bothered by it and it made for a quick read. Also, the multiple uses of the "R" word really bothered me as a kid and even now.

We follow Charlie Gordon who is mentally handicapped. He gets put through a testing process and is deemed good enough to have this operation to boost his IQ level from 70 to 160+. The doctors have already performed this operation on a mouse named Algernon and he becomes Charlie's friend and common friend.

We see Charlie become intelligent and become a genius and learn more about himself and the people and the world around him. He starts losing friends when he starts questioning every thing and then things take a turn for the worst.

This book had me all in my feelings. This was written in the 60's when it was socially acceptable to lock or hide away all of the mentally handicapped people in state run homes, hospitals and institutions. Growing up in the 90's and 00's, kids were so freaking mean to the special kids and in my high school years, that attitude flipped a complete 180 and they became the popular group in school and everyone loved them and they were included and not hidden away in a classroom.

I was infuriated with Charlie's mother. She was such a bitch and didn't care about her child. She just cared about how people saw her. When her daughter was born, she didn't want Charlie around. Well Karma got her back. The last page of the book made me cry and I felt so destroyed. it felt like I was watching the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...