This book has been on my radar for years and I found a copy in a little free library in my town. Ariana had been wanting to read it, so on the first day of the school year I started reading it out loud and it hooked me from the very beginning. I am not really into fairy tales and I can't stand princes and princesses, but with the evil aspect, it was very tolerable.
We follow two girls named Agatha and Sophie who live in this village named Gavaldon. The parents of this village are trying to keep their children safe from this person named the school master who kidnaps 2 children from the village. Sophie who believes in fairy tales and wants the true love and prince is doing everything she can to be the one kidnapped. She does all the "good deeds" and one of them is befriending Agatha, the girl who is an outsider and lives in a graveyard who looks "evil".
They both get picked but when they arrive at the schools, both girls think there is a horrible mistake made as Sophie is dropped into Evil school and Agatha into school for Good. They go through trying to switch schools and helping each other out to then becoming nemesis to each other and most likely saving each other.
This is a great start to a series, but I do think it was a little long and could have been trimmed in some parts. Like the descriptions of the sludge river every time it was mentioned or the blue forest every time the students entered it. It is impressive that the author could use a good chunk of variations of blue.

No comments:
Post a Comment