Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Review: Mayfly by Jeff Sweat


I was given the sequel to this book for a blog tour post and I was not given this book to read. I ordered myself a copy because my library did not have it which tells me that this book did not get great marketing and is not from a big publishing house. Other then that, I really liked this book. It is a dystopia set a hundred years from present day and the parents and older people have died.

I will pitch this book as The Handmaid's Tale meets Gone. The teenage girls in this book want to become mamas. They become "fertile" at 15. Have a baby at 16, and then they meet The End at 17. Our main character Jemma doesn't really want to become a mama and she doesn't want to "roll" with just anyone. Rolling means having sex. She is falling in love with a boy in the Muscles named Apple who is near The End. Jemma wants to get away and Apple is willing to follow her anywhere. The Gone aspect is that the kids are in control and run things.

I enjoyed reading this but I did get annoyed with the dialogue and the words that replaced words. They called medicine medsen. Motorcycle.. mocycle. gas.. fire juice. It was annoying. I will be immediately reading the second book because the plot twist cliffhanger at the end.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...