Thursday, September 1, 2022

Review: Crying In H Mart by Michelle Zauner


 One of my most anticipated books from last year and a birthday gift that has been sitting on my shelf just asking to be read. I had seen this book everywhere last year. So many articles and book lists including this book. It also won a Goodreads award and that was a sign that I needed to read it. I knew that it would make me cry but I didn't know why.

Back in June, my husband's aunt who is like a second mom to him revealed to us that she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She is currently doing chemotherapy, then will move to radiation and surgery. I also lost my grandfather in January of 2005 to lung cancer and I never fully got over that. 

Reading this made me cry multiple times. I thought that I would have had to DNF this book when I read one word that took me back to Christmas of 2004 at my grandfather's house and seeing the Ensure bottles on his table because it was the only thing he could keep down. 

Other than the crying, this book made me really really hungry and I wanted all of the korean and chinese food. I did get some Asian hot wings and fried rice on the day that I had the flashback. 

This is just a book about the author's mother and their strained relationship prior to the cancer diagnosis and Michelle trying to make up for being a problem child and also trying to figure out her identity to being Korean American.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...