Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Review: When You Get The Chance by Emma Lord

 


A book that I have been meaning to read for the past year and I enjoyed it. This is my first Emma Lord book and I will be picking up the rest of her books. I do admit that I did want to re-watch Mamma Mia before picking it up, but I went ahead and this book did a good job of reminding me of the movie. It also gave me Devil Wears Prada vibes. 

We follow Millie who is an aspiring Broadway star. She just got accepted into a precollege in California and she is going head to head with her dad who is against her going. One day she is hanging out with her next door neighbor and best friend when she gets alerted to one of her aunt's emails. This email contains a link to her dad's LiveJournal from his college days and she becomes a snoop. She then gets this idea that she will look for her mom and just like her favorite movie Mamma Mia, she settles on three women that will also be helpful in getting her on her way to Madison.

Along the way, she also gets close to her school nemesis Oliver who is a tight wad. He needs to control every aspect of every situation but he takes the time to give everyone attention and help when they need it. I loved the dynamic of this friendship and how these characters grew.

The length of the book could have been shortened because halfway through, I figured out who her mom was and I was kind of bored with the rest. I loved the end with them waiting on the couple to arrive. No spoilers here. I think it was wrapped up a little too nicely and don't understand how her mom was just welcomed back with open arms. 

Also, another annoyance was that she was constantly looking down at her shoes and thinking "Heather's shoes". I was tired of constantly being reminded that the shoes belonged to her aunt. It made me eye roll alot and the shoes are a character by how many times they are mentioned. 

1 comment:

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...