Friday, February 9, 2024

Review: Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

 


My first classic of the year and it was ok. I decided to pick this up because it is on my classic club list and I have read reviews that this is for people who like utopian- dystopian worlds and I hyped myself up for it. I went in knowing absolutely nothing. 

It is also a short book so I went in with the mindest that I would finish it very quickly and that was not the case. I should have known better because my track record with short books is not good. It takes me about a week to finish a book under 250 pages. But with that being said, whenever I did put this book down, I picked it back up within 15-20 minutes because I wanted to read it and know what was going to happen next.

With this being a classic, most people should know what this is about and for those that don't know like me, I will be keeping spoilers to a minimum. This is set in a world where humans are created in labs and conditioned to be a certain type of personality. There are Alphas, Betas, Deltas, Gammas, and Epsilons. That is the caste system that this world conforms to. 

They are conditioned to think of mothers and fathers as derogatory and disgusting where when they are children they are encouraged to involves themselves in erotic play. They get taken to a death center where they are paraded around dying people to show them that death is nothing to be scared of and it will happen. The people get pumped full of a drug called soma to keep them complicit and everything happy.

I was struggling at the beginning because it was a big info dump about how everyone is created and the fertilization process and how the episilons are given alcohol to make them the most inferior and pretty much become mentally unstable and slave like. Whenever they talked about God and religion and how they wroshipped Ford and the model T, I was bored to tears. But other than that, when the main characters Bernard and Lenina and John(Savage) were together, it was the most interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...