Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Review: The Odyssey by Homer (Translation by Emily Wilson)

 

I re-read this back in March and never wrote a review because I figured that everyone and their mama has read this but then I forgot that I had this on my classics challenge and I need a review.... so here it is 5 months late. 

With my daughters being in high school and homeschooling, I figured that a re-read would help me help them understand this epic ass poem better. I don't know what translation I read in high school, but I had to pick this translation up because it is the first done by a woman. She also translated The Illiad that I will also be reading for the first time. 

I read this translation while my daughter read a different one and we talked about the differences and similarities. It really solidified that I did not pay attention in high school and the only thing I remembered was Calypso's or Circe???? I don't even remember now.. 

I did get really annoyed with Penelope constantly crying even after 10 years and then Telemachus being a complete dick to his mom and blaming her for the suitors and not being man enough to throw them out of the house his self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...