A series that I have been wanting to read since it came out and I got a arc of the third and final book last year and I have been waiting for my library to get a copy of this book. They only had one copy and it was lost, so they had to reorder it.
This is one of my favorite time period to read in. While reading, I was constantly thinking of Rebel Daughter, Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore and also Curses & Smoke which is set in Pompeii like this book.
We follow a woman named Amara who is a prostitute in Pompeii. She was sold into slavery by her mother when her father who was a well known doctor died. She was sold to a patient of her fathers who was wealthy and his wife got jealous and sold her to a pimp named Felix. Felix runs the local brothel and he is in rivalry with another brothel owner named Simo.
The book starts off with Felix's women getting thrown out of the baths because Simo has paid off the baths owner to ruin business for Felix.
This a very charcter driven book where we get the feelings and emotions of the woman being reprimanded, raped, forced to perform sexual acts, being cat called and groped in the street, not being free but being able to walk around the city center.
There is a lot of stockholm syndrome where the girls feel hope when Felix is nice to them and talks gently to them but get disheartened when he shows his true colors.
Amara did get on my nerves when she was with these men and she was thinking that she could get them to free her and that she could pretend to love them and she was always paranoid that these men would betray her and ot give her the freedom they promised her while they were screwing her.
I am excited to read book 2 soon so I don't forget anything.

No comments:
Post a Comment