I have had this on my TBR since 2020 and I finally picked it up. It started off slow for me because of life stuff, but I stayed interested and kept thinking about it.
I went into this not knowing anything and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it contained some form of magic family and it fits with the spooky type of reads for the month of October. It is not scary or spooky.
We follow a girl named Trix McCabe who has been abandoned by her mom and she is living on the run from foster homes and CPS. She is staying at a motel where her mom left her and she is breakinf one of her rules of not staying in the same place for too long. When she pays the manager the rent for the next week, he rats her out. She has a special ability of being a pick pocket and not getting caught. She steals wallets and pickets the money.
She gets caught and she gets told that she has a family on her father's side. She never met her father and her two aunts and cousin can't wait for her to arrive. She arrives in this little po-dunk town that could be smaller than mine. Her family owns a bakery where the pies have magic. If you are feeling lonely, you can have a lemon pie. If you are experiencing heartbreak, eat a blueberry pie.
Trix gets enrolled in the local high school which is the agreement to keep her from being tried as an adult. She makes a group of friends and they all want to know about her. She learns about her aunts and cousins special abilities. Trix is constantly being watched and expected to pull another runner.
She learns the real reason why her father never knew about her existence. She has PTSD from smells and she reunites with old friends and puts down roots.

No comments:
Post a Comment