Thursday, October 24, 2024

Review: The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse

 


I was hoping to have a spooky scary story with this one. I am always drawn to the books that have creppy looking buildings on the cover. Once again, I was burned because the building on the cover and the description of the sanatorium is not matching. 

I was really wanting a ghost story where it had former patients and it was just constant cliffhanger and stupidity from our main character. Our main is named Elin and she is a detective who is currently on leave because she fucked up during her first major investigation. She is traumatized because she almost drowned. She is meeting her brother and his fiance to celebrate their engagment at this hotel that was a former sanatorium. 

This place has had so many issues and there is a major snow storm coming and this place is all windows on the edge of a mountain. Elin is trying to get her brother to admiting killing their younger brother. She is so obsessed with it and it is affecting her relationships and her health. 

When the hotel is getting evacuated because of an avalanche warning, a body is found in the pool. We get the POV from this character at the beginning to add a little spook factor, but honestly it was not scary whatsoever.

The entire rest of the book, Elin is trying to find the killer and find out why everyone is hiding things from her. She is constantly blaming people of being responsible for the murders and then that peson she is blaming shows up missing or brutally murdered. She is the worst detective. She is telling people what she finds and her thoughts and letting them in on details of the case.

She freezes when there is an attempt of murder right in front of her face. I was rolling my eyes everytime because the identity of the killer was very obvious and she figured out who done it by remembering a quote in a blogpost she read. 

I was also really disgusted by the reasoning of the killer and why she was killing and mutilating women, the same way women were mutilated in the sanatorium. 

I don't know how there could be two more books with Elin as a main character. She is a shitty detective. I will not be continuing with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...