The past year I have been seeing ads for this and it being comped as Hunger Games meets Squid Game. I said sign me the hell up. I have been waiting for my library to get this is the system and I was so excited. This is more than Hunger Games. This is all original dystopian YA meshed together.
This is a translated work and while reading, I kept thinking that maybe it was just a mediocre translation, but apparently the translatore has won awards.
This story follows a girl named Chobahm. She lives in a frozen world with negative temperatures. She works at the local powerplant that has the workers running in wheels to make the power. The entertainment they watch is about Snowglobe. A domed world that films every citizen and where they have their own show. Chobahm's favorite show is called Goh Around and the main lead is a girl named Haeri. Chobahm could be her twin because they look so similar, even her own grandmother calls Haeri her grand daughter to Chobahms face while being mistaken for her twin brother's girlfriend.
One day Chobahm gets stopped by a director who wants her to secretly take Haeri's place because Haeri has commited suicide and the show would be in ruins if the people found out. Haeri's director promises that it will only be for a little while and then she will get Chobahm into director's school which is her absolute dream.
The atmosphere and people of Snowglobe is where The Hunger Games inspiration is and the rest of the book reminded me of Divergent and the Selection and Gone. There was no Squid Game inspiration besides it being Korean.
My expectations were really high and they were not met. There were so many times when Chobahm was genuinely worried about the other clones and where the real Haeri was. She hated the director and then she would continue to go along with whatever she wanted because the director promised a spot in the director's school.
There is a sequel coming out this year, but I don't think I can be bothered because the ending to this was ok. I don't really care to see all the clones find each other.

No comments:
Post a Comment