Was not interested in this series, but I am wanting to complete all of the Goodreads challenges this year and I also want to go see the movie. I have read two Freida McFadden books before and find myself thinking about 1 of them every once in a while, and that one is The Crash. I hope that one gets adapted one day.
But, this is the first book in the Housemaid series. We follow a girl named Millie who is interviewing to be a maid for The Winchesters, who is a wealthy family. Millie is recently unemployed and living in her car. We learn that she is an ex con and that she has been estranged from her family for the duration of her incarceration. We learn later why she got arrested. She also meets the young daughter and compares her to a robot.
It is a couple of days later and she gets the job after thinking that her background check has failed her. She goes back to the gorgeous house and meets the landscaper who speaks only Italian and gives her a shake of the head and says one word, which eventually translates to danger.
Millie walks into the house and she sees that it is filthy and a complete pigsty. Millie is appaled that the house could get so bad in just a few days. Millie immediately gets to work and cleans the house from top to bottom. She is shown her room which is a little attic space with a cot. She is grateful but realizes that the lock to the door is on the outside and there are gouges in the wood.
The next day, Millie wakes up to see the kitchen a complete disaster and Nina chucking everything around looking for her PTA notes that she left on the table. She blames Millie for throwing them away and this is the start of the whiplash that is Nina. She is bi polar and you don't know who you will get.
People around town know that Nina has a past where she was institutionalized and has a mental disorder. Millie and Nina's husband Andrew grow close. Nina takes her daughter to summer camp and Millie and Andre have a night out on the town in Manhattan.
Andrew is so fed up with Nina, that he kicks her out. I laughed so hard at the next part because Millie offers to help Nina pack her stuff. Nina of course gets pissed and when she is done, she is struggling with the bags and to open the door and Millie runs to open it.
After a few days of Millie being the homewrecker, shit goes down and we really learn what is going on and who the real enemy is. I had my suspicions from the mid point, but I was annoyed with the characters. I was questioning whether the next books follow the same characters and questions get answered in the epilogue.

No comments:
Post a Comment