This cover is absolutely gorgeous. I also read this for the Goodreads reading challenge. All of my reads this year are for this challenge it seems. This is the first book that I have read from Kylie Lee Baker and while I sadly did not enjoy this book, I will be reading her backlist titles.
We follow a college student named Lee who has went to Japan to be with his dad and his girlfriend. They have jusy purchased this tiny house in Japan and Lee is running from things. He is a very unreliable character and he is hooked on antihestimins, mostly benadryl. He takes them to dull the world around him and the voice of his dead mother who went missing in Cambodia when he was little.
It is constantly implied that her body was stuffed into a rolling suitcase and to be able to do that, some of the big bones had to be broken. Then we learn that he may have killed his roommate and that is why he ran. He also can't remember where he dumped the body.
The second main character is a girl called Sen and she is in a different time period and she is secretly training to become a samurai because a failed rebellion has killed all samurai. Her father went to the rebellion and he is the only one that came back alive. He is seen as a coward in Sen's eyes but she cannot tell him that. He is brutal in her training and he hates that his wife is babying his sons. They are living in the same house that Lee and his dad are now occupying. Lee and Sen meet through the closet and Lee wants to know if he can contact his mom. Sen learns that she dies with her family and not in battle.
The ending was a clusterfuck and it was so confusing. I feel that the answers that I wanted were walked around and there was a lot of stretches of disbelief.

No comments:
Post a Comment