Saturday, November 24, 2018
Review: First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung
This is another book recommendation that I got from Readtheworld.org. It's a website that has lists of books that are sets in different countries or written by authors from different countries and they are categorized by country and continent. This is the third book I have read from that site and I have enjoyed each one so far. the books are Nonfiction and Fiction.
While in the middle of reading this book, I realized that this was turned into a movie or a documentary of sorts and it was made by Angelina Jolie. I have to watch it because she has a lot of ties to Cambodia and I think one of her sons was adopted from there.
This book is a memoir and it was written by a woman who suffered at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. A couple of days before I started reading this, two men who were some important men in the Khmer Rouge regime were given life sentences for the Genocide of the Cambodian population.
We read through the eyes of Loung who grew up in Phnom Phen. Her father was a former military personnel for the previous government and they had to conceal their identities and keep their past lives quiet because if he was found out, the whole family would be branded as traitors and killed on the spot.
The family was constantly relocated from camp to camp to work and grow crops and rice for the Khmer Rouge army and to also send to China to pay for the weapons that China was giving the Khmer Rogue to battle the Vietnamese.
They were starved, worked like dogs, raped, tortured, and killed on the spot. They made child soldiers and were brainwashing these children who were very young that the Angkar government loved them and that is the children helped protect the government, the government would in turn "not really" would love them and keep them "safe" in the future.
I will be reading books 2 and 3 very soon, because I want to know how she was able to move on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2
I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...
-
I was originally going to do a review on just the book, but then decided to review and compare both the book and the movie as well. I am goi...
-
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl . This week is a freebie prompt so I am going to be sharing m...
-
This outfit is called lazy day . I made this set just on a whim. I saw the socks while I was watching an episode of Pit Bulls and Parolees,...

No comments:
Post a Comment