Sunday, May 31, 2020

Review: Hunger by Michael Grant


Last year, I read the first book in this series by Michael Grant. Right away I found it so similar to Stephen King's Under the Dome and I didn't really like it. Cayce ended up picking these up at the little free library and the second one was just staring at me from my bookshelf. I made the decision that if this second book was not very great and was not original like the first, then I would quit the series altogether.

This second installment was OK. It was more action packed and violence heavy which was not fun to read about currently since I have to read about more violence in the news.

This series is about a town called Perdido Beach. One day, everyone ages 15 and up disappear...poof out of existence. Then this huge dome is over the town and surrounding area including a desert with a gold mine and a nuclear power plant. Some of the kids start developing these super powers and there is an all out war between the Perdido Beach kids and the trouble makers from Coates Academy.

In this book, the main plot is on the Darkness and how everyone including it, is hungry. They are going after animals and stealing. There are even thoughts about cannibalism.

I was going to give this a 4 but near the end, I saw a word that I really despise and hate with all of my being. It was used 3 times on the same page, almost the same damn paragraph and that is the dreaded R word. Also it kept jumping back and forth between so many characters and they kind of seemed very similar and not defined.

I will be giving the third book a read eventually, but I won't be waiting a year because I found myself not remembering who was who and I actually had to go and skim the first book, because I thought one of the characters went poof and it wasn't memorable even though it happened to the main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...