Monday, September 21, 2020

Review: My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows


 

Another Jane retelling from the Lady Janies. This time we are following Jane Eyre and her ability to see dead people. The Lady Janies also added Charlotte Bronte into the story as Jane's best friend and it was a grand ole time. I have never read Jane Eyre and reading this along with a graphic novel about Charlotte Bronte's life last year has made me more intrigued about this character.

Jane and Charlotte meet at the Lowood boarding school as orphans. Jane has a dead best friend who is a ghost named Helen. One night Jane sneaks out to the local pub where she hears that the RWS, or the Society for Relocation of Wayward spirits will be to remove a problematic ghost. Once in this pub, the said problematic ghost becomes obsessed with Jane and gets bopped on the head with a pocket watch by Mr. Blackwood, the star agent of the society.

Mr. Blackwood learns that Jane is a beacon and is desperately needed for the society. Jane turns down the position and instead becomes a governess for Mr. Rochester's charge, a little girl named Adele. Upon arriving at Thornfield Hall, Jane immediately hears screaming and her alarm is dismissed by Mr. Rochester and his staff. 

Things get more darker and sinister from there. I ended up giving this book a 4 out of 5 stars. While there were funny bits and some witty banter, I found that it was no gut wrenching the same as My Lady Jane and the bit where it has characters from My Lady Jane are passing comments and it made me sad. i was really annoyed and bored with all the propriety between the men and the women. 

You definitely do not need to read My Lady Jane to read this one, but I recommend My Lady Jane over this one if you want laugh out loud laughter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...