Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Review: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson


 With how short this book is, I expected to be finished with it in a couple of days. It took me a week to read this book. Not because I didn't like it, but it was so immersive and deep that I wanted to take my time reading it. I also realized when I was reading the introduction by Guillermo Del Toro that one of my favorite movies from the 90's is a adaptation. The 1999 version of The Haunting. I use to watch that movie all the time with my best friend Katie. We would watch it and talk to each other on the phone and sometime argue why Nell did this and why the spirits wanted Nell and that Owen Wilson was a babe and Catherine Zeta Jones was a stuck up snob. Needless to say while reading this, I was picturing Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta Jones and Owen Wilson the entire time.


I also realized that while reading is that the book and the 90's adaptation is so different. I know there is another adaptation that came out before the 90's version, but I have not watched that and I also have not watched the Netflix series yet. I am planning on watching all three before the year is over. 

The amount of mental health issues that Nell was going through was startling. I was not expecting it and it was not even mentioned by the "doctor" in the story. I realize that this book was written in the 50's and it might have been seen as a woman who has gone crazy, and that is that. It makes me think if there really were sounds and bangs at all prior to their stay. It may have been some sort of PK manifestation from Nell. There was that part where she was running through the house banging on doors and walls. She was also very attention seeking and clingy.

Overall, I give this a 3 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...