Monday, March 15, 2021

Review: Spycatcher by Matthew Dunn

 

Years ago, I won the fourth book in this series in a Goodreads giveaway. During these years, I never realized that it was part of a series until I was making my Buzzword reading challenge TBR and put the title into Goodreads just to make sure it was a stand alone. IT WAS NOT. But I didn't want to take it off my TBR because I then realized that if I didn't read it this year, I would never do it. So I got this book from the library which is the first in the series. I figured I would like it because I like the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva and I like James Bond. 

Reading the first few chapters, I then realized that I would have a tough time getting through this. I thought about DNFing it but I was interested in all the super secret spy stuff. I just hate the main character. His name is Will Cochran and he is the Spartan in MI6. The Spartan program is just a one man show. He is the best of the best and that has inflated his ego big time. He thinks he is tough shit and is untouchable when in truth, he gets shot or grazed so many damn times and it is either his way or the highway. He goes over his superiors rules and he promises things to people that are not in his country. He promises a American passport to a war criminal. 

The author is supposedly ex MI6 and knowledgeable in this field and I just don't think it qualifies him as a writer. I will be giving the sequel a read in May and I hope that the author has toned down the arrogance of the main character and actually make him a little tolerable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...