Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Review: Theodora, Actress, Empress, Whore by Stella Duffy

 

This book was never on my radar until I bought the second book one day at Dollar Tree. I buy so many books from Dollar Tree it is ridiculous. The second book is titled The Purple Shroud and I put it on my buzzword reading challenge TBR for February because the buzz word for last month was a color. i was not surprised to find out that it was a second book in a series because all books at Dollar Tree are either the middle or conclusion to a series. I didn't want to replace the book because I had the thought that if I did that, then I would never get to the book. 

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this. It reminded me so much of the Sphinx Princess and Queen books that I read years ago. It is all about Empress Theodora of Constantinople and how she went from being an actress and prostitute to Empress. It goes into the politics of that time and how the laws were changed basically for her by her husband who was consul. 

I was disgusted by the prostitution of young girls that were in the theatre not by choice. I was angry at her younger sister dying in childbirth and them cursing the baby boy to hell and damning his soul. I was not at all bothered by all of the religious content. Basically that is all this book is. She goes to repent for her sins and she has an epiphany during her 40 days in the cave and then when she tells her story to priests and her friends, she is called too prideful. 

I am eager to get to the second book and see how she does in her Empress role. I ended up giving this a 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...