Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Review: Saints & Misfits by S.K. Ali

 


Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of tis book in preparation of the sequel. I have been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it, but never made it a priority. I am trying to broaden my horizons this year and learn and read more about different cultures. I have been more interested in the Muslim centered books the past couple years and really enjoyed The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and my previous read, Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed.  

I wish I had a physical copy of this so I could have took my time to read this. I feel a slump coming on due to the fact that another book I am reading at the moment just sucks and this book is the 40th book I have read this year. Needless to say, I gave this a 3 stars. I enjoyed learning more about the Islamic religion and seeing the daily life of this normal Muslim American teenager as she tries to get through final exams, dealing with her brother's courtship, trying to brand her own identity and learn how to speak up after she is sexually assaulted by a guy who is well loved in the community. She fights against being a silent sufferer because it is known that girls in the Islamic religion are not taken seriously and are often blamed for the violent acts that occur to them.

I thought the ending was OK. I was super happy for Janna for speaking up and telling her family and that's it. There is no closure. There is no justice against Farooq. I am hoping that we see something done against the "monster" in the sequel. I am anticipating more heartbreak, angst, betrayal, anger and shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...