Monday, April 26, 2021

Review: Smile by Raina Telgemeier


 If It wasn't for my oldest daughter, I would not have picked this book up. My 12 year old is obsessed with graphic novels and she has a graphic novel TBR for this year. She loved this one and begged me to read it too, so we could talk about it. I really loved it. I give it a 5 out of 5 stars. It reminded me that I need to make an dentist appointment for my daughters. It actually hit close to home because a couple of days after, my daughter fell and face planted the kitchen floor. Thankfully, it wasn't a major injury, just a cut across her nose. 

This is a sort of memoir of the author's childhood. The story starts off when she is 12 and in 6th grade and she is in girl scouts. She is walking to her house with some of her troop friends and they start racing. Raina trips and severely injures her top front teeth. This whole graphic memoir is her four year journey of mouth reconstruction and growing up. Making new friends and leaving old ones behind. She deals with bullying and crushes on boys. She goes through puberty and enters high school. 

This was an absolutely great read and I am happy that my daughter got to read and connect with this character. I am happy that she got me to read it because it took me down memory lane and what I can expect as my daughters grows into a woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...