Volume three done! I am still loving the characters but something about this volume just didn't give me the "ompfh" I needed. This volume discussed some serious topics and I wish I had a trigger warning for one of them because it definitely brought back some bad memories from my early high school years. So trigger warnings for cutting and self harm and eating disorders.
While important topics were mentioned, I feel that they were glossed over and not goine fully into depth. I also feel that this volume dragged a bit. The paris trip was teenagers being bored with the museums and then having a party with vodka. I also was confused about how much Charlie was bullied and made fun of when he was outed unintentionally by one of his best friends. The two teachers that are featured in this volume are gay and the rugby coach is lesbian. How could the other students be that homophobic and not know that about their teachers? Also, why didn't those teachers step up and say something to those who were bullying Charlie?
I ended up giving this one a 3 star because I just wasn't satisfied with where the story went. The whole Paris trip was just a big slow burn for Nick and Charlie.
Done with the fourth installment of Heartstopper and I give this volume 4 out of 5 stars. I was a little annoyed at the beginning with the characters going "YAAAYYYY" all of the time. I understand that they are teenagers, but it was just cringey as hell. I love that it went more into Charlie's eating disorder and his mental illnesses. It did the right thing by saying that you can't become co-dependent on your lovers or expect them to fix you because that is not fair to the other person and too much pressure. It goes more into detail about his self harm as well and how easily you can relapse from the smallest of triggers.
The mini comic in the back about the "firsts" in Mr. Ajay and Mr. Farouk's relationship was just too freaking cute. Also Tori is a freaking badass and telling David she would end him. My kind of girl and I can so relate. I liked this volume way more than the third. This one I actually liked reading and wasn't bored.
Also, Tao's instagram posts are the funniest thing. Third wheeling... BAHAHAHA


No comments:
Post a Comment