Thursday, August 4, 2022

Review: The Purple Shroud by Stella Duffy

 

A book that has been on many a TBR for the past year and a half has been read and it was 5 freaking stars. I absolutely LOVED it. I am not mad at myself for waiting so long to pick it up. I was worried that I would forget who was who, but from the very first page it picks up where the first book left off. The first book Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore follows a girl named Theodora who is an actress at the Hippodrome in Constantinople. She is known throughout the city and she is a household name both good and bad. The people love her for her acting but she is shamed for having to be a prostitute behind the scenes like every actress. 

In this sequel, we follow her as she is now married to the Emperor of Constantinople and is now the Empress. She is her husband's partner through and through and she gives advice and supports her husband in every decision. She has to deal with slander and dirty looks from Palace staff and her husband's advisors. I definitely want another book about Theodora but this book ended perfectly and I know it is fiction and I am wanting to read some nonfiction to see if she was liked by the people of Constantinople or if she was a crap Empress. 

If you are interested in Ancient Civilizations particularly Byzantine and Ancient Rome, then I highly recommend. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...