A fairy tale retelling that got a 5 star rating from me. I am not a fan of fairy tales. I didn't grow up watching all the Disney princesses and some I didn't watch until I had kids. I watched all the sad animal Disney movies. Anyways, I went into this thinking I was going to read it and forget it and read the next two books that I was sent by Disney.
This month, my reading speed slowed. It took me a week to finish this book and that is not a bad thing. It kept my attention and I savored the story. I went into this thinking that it would be a retelling of just one fairy tale and it has different aspects of a couple different. This cover gives sleeping beauty vibes and that is the main fairy tale that is being retold, but more like a fanfiction of Maleficent.
The story starts off with this married couple who has just moved to this small village in Germany to start anew. They buy this cozy little cottage in the woods and the village people tell them to stay away from their neighbor that lives up the mountain because she is a witch. The town is full of gossipers.
The wife Agnes, befriends Mathilda in secret and they leave little gifts for each other. Agnes' husband wants her to cut off contact because he cares about what the villagers say and he doesn't want to be shunned once again. Over the friendship, Mathilda offers to help Agnes have a baby on the condition that she continues to visit and keep being friends. Agnes goes back on her promise and over the years, she had three kids and believs that a curse has been set on the family. Two good things and one bad thing will happen.
The oldest daughter Elva has just turned 15 or 16 and she has had magical abilities that she has had to hide her whole life because her parents don't want the villagers finding out because they have grown into a respectable family and don't want to lose their status.
When I finished this, I was obsessed and wanted to immediately pick up the second book in this series. But it follows different characters and it is written by Dhonielle Clayton. I know that it will have some links to this first book and that it will be a type of generational family???? story which I have realized that I really enjoy reading.

No comments:
Post a Comment