Saturday, March 25, 2023

Review: A Rover's Story by Jasmine Warga

 


I never review the books that I read out loud to my kids, but this one is an exception. I am so in love with this book. I have never read anything by Jasmine Warga, but my kids have and they really liked Other Words For Home. I am going to be picking that one up soon. I was not expecting to feel a whole range of emotions for this but it hits right in the feels.

This is based around the Mars rovers Curiosity and Preserverance I think and this book gives the Rover human emotions and thought. At the beginning in the first few chapters, I fell in love with Resilience or Res which the rover goes by. He learns knowledge from the scientist that are working on him and building him. He wants so badly to make his two hazmat friends Xander and Raina proud. 

Around the 3rd or 4th chapter, the creep factor started settling in because he started talking to the other machines in the lab and even talking to the scientist cell phones and my brain took off and I started side eyeing my televisions, laptop, desktops and cell phones. 

There is another main character that is human and her name is Sophie and she is Raina's daughter. Sophie writes letters to Res and nearing the end of the book there is a plot line that hit a little too close to home and it made me cry like a baby in front of my kids. 

I will post a trigger warning for cancer and I know that is a huge spoiler, but if you are triggered by cancer, then I don't want that to cause you to hate this. It reminded me of my grandfather because it had the line prepare for goodbye and also my husband's aunt has breast cancer.

I highly recommend this to everyone, not just school age children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...