Thursday, July 6, 2023

Review: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne

 


Did I plan to read this this year? No. Does it check a book off of my classics club 5 year list? Yes. Did I enjoy it? HELL NO! If I wanted to read a book about all of the fish and creatures in the ocean that includes their scientific names, I would have went and got a textbook with pictures of said fish.

I was bored out of my mind reading this and there were a few times where I did laugh because of my favorite character Ned Land. The only reason I continued to read this was because I was buddy reading this with my oldest daughter who is reading it for summer reading for her English class. She is feeling the same as I am. The science terms are overwhelming and Ned Land needed more time on the pages. He is definitely the comedic relief. 

I tried to read this when I was in 5th grade for a summer reading book report and I never did it because I was not in my reading girl era. My dad read this when he was a kid and he enjoyed it and tried to get me to pick it back up and I just couldn't care. 

We follow a character named Professor Arronax who gets called to help the military take down a sea monster who is destroying ships with perfect percision. Ned Land is the harpooner charged with taking down the beast. They travel all through the Pacific Ocean looking for this monster and they come across it and chase it. 

Welcome Captain Nemo to the story who is a guy that no longer cares for the surface world and it spending the rest of his life living in the depths of the ocean. He keeps the professor, his assistant and Ned Land hostage and they learn about the underwater world and how Captain Nemo survives and lives.

I really wanted to read Journey to the Center of the Earth but I am just not vibing with Jules Verne and his writing. I may just stick with the Brandon Fraser movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...