Monday, July 10, 2023

Review: Where Darkness Blooms by Andrea Hannah


 The day I started reading this, my first ever sunflower bloomed. Now when I chose this on Netgalley, I didn't pay close attention to the flowers on the cover. I went in knowing it was a horror. When I read the first chapter and it mentions sunflowers and that the main characters are hesitant and a little terrified of them, I freaked the hell out and my little sunflower that had just opened that day and was soaking in the sun rays became public enemy number 1. Not really but everytime I went outside for my garden walks, it got a side eye from me.

Enough about my paranoia, I ended up really liking this and I gave it a 4 star on Goodreads. I wouldn't neccessarily classify it as a horror because even though I got paranoid and the timing couldn't be more wrong, it was more of a thriller mystery to me. 

We follow four girls who live in this small town in the middle of Kansas and this town is prone to constant storms. The town is also borded bu an endless sunflower field along with corn fields. There are a lot of women that go missing including our four main characters mothers. One of the main characters Bo is not buying the story that their mothers abandoned them and the deaths of the other missing girls and she is on the hunt to figure out the real problem. There is some romance in this book which to be brutally honest, could have been left out and this would have been a true horror.

1 comment:

  1. Horror scares me so I'm glad to read your review and stop there, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...