Friday, November 7, 2025

Review: Horror Hotel by Victoria Fulton & Faith McClaren

 


I am still reading some of my spooky TBR that I have out from the library and I hate returning bookks to the library unread because it feels like a waste of time for the librarians and my hubby. I have been obsessed with this cover ever since this book came out. I am a sucker for skulls on covers. I always judge books by covers and all that mumbo jumbo about not judging a book by their cover is just stupid. First impressions are everything. I thought this would be a good spooky book, and I did get a little spooked but honestly, I gave this a 2 out of 5 stars.

I went into this completely blind like I normally do. Right away from the dedication, I knew where this book was going to be set and what kind of plot this would be. This book is dedicated to Elisa Lam, the young woman who was found dead in the water tower at The Cecil Hotel in LA. If you have no idea who that is, go educate yourself and watch the heartbreaking elevator video that showed her last moments alive. There is so many conspiracies surrounding her death.

This book follow four kids who live in Vegas. Two rich kids and two middle class kids. They run a youtube channel called Ghost Gang and the boy Chase is so focused on hitting 1 million subscribers and getting the gold playbutton plaque. The other rich kid is a girl named Kiki who is TikTok famous. The other girl who Emma and she is the tech girl. The third girl is Chrissy. She is the one with the abilities and can see the ghosts in their death states and she can hear them.

These underage kids cross state lines without parental permission and go to the Hearst Hotel where a girl named Eileen Warring was found dead in the elevator shaft. 

These kids name drop Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures. Now, I am a massive Ghost Adventures fan and when I read the sentence that talked about them, I had to dock a star. I was furious that the authors did not put factual evidence into this book if they were going to name drop popular ghost hunting groups. 

The sentence is that the hosts investigated the hotel.. true. Apparently one of the hosts got seriously injured and had to go to the hospital and quit the show after.... NOT TRUE. None of the hosts of Ghost Adventures has ever gotten seriously injured to the point where they quit.

After that, every little thing that was stupid started to grate on my nerves. There was also an unneccesary romance plot to try to make a love triangle or to speed up a relationship and honestly, it docked another star. 

I will be reading the second book in this series because like I said, I hate returning books to the library unread. I already know that I will not like the setting of this because I am not a fan of books set on boats and ships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...