Saturday, December 6, 2025

Review: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness *SPOILERS*

 


My hubby and I watched the first season of the show back in September and he liked it so much. I told him I haven't read the second book and I finally finished it and he has been going on and on, like have you finished it. Sadly, I didn't really enjoy this installment. It reminded me too much of the second book in the Outlander series, where Claire and Jaime go to France.

Diana and Matthew have timewalked and went back in time to 1590. Elizabethan London. As soon as they get the the old lodge, they find some members of the school of night. Very influential people who we study today, are ordinary people back then. They are surprised that Matthew has shown up days later in England and married. All of the men can smell that Diana is a witch and both sides learn that things are happening.

Matthew is still keeping secrets from Diana, mainly about the witch hunts and executions in Scotland. She learns that he has many hats and has to do all of these things to keep the congregation happy, the queen happy, and the brotherhood happy. Right away he gets a letter from Phillippe demanding that he return to sept-tours.

His character was not a favorite of mine upon meeting and how he was treating Diana, but near the end of his storyline, I was wanting a hug from him because it showed that with strangers he is hesitant, but to family and those he cares for he will do anything. 

During this time, they are trying to find Ashmole 782 and a witch to help teach Diana. There are so many times that they look for witches and find one only for them to be afraid because of retaliation or to tell a preacher to get good favor.

They eventually go to London because they are fleeing one such preacher who wants to question Diana. They spend some time in London where they find a group of witches who is able to teach Diana how to become the weaver she is and Diana forms her familiar which turns out to be a Firedrake. They also find out that Ashmole 782 was taken by the Emperor of Prague and that is their next stop.

The Emperor is really gross and he developes an infatuation with Diana. She hosts a play and she ends up gaing a favor from the Emperor and she demands to see the book. They see it with the three pages that were missing in modern time. They also learn the grisly and disgusting truth about the book which was very shocking.

There is a whole lot more, but otherwise, I ended up giving this a 3 out of 5. There was so much detail about the clothing and the food and the furniture that it got boring. But when it came to Gallowglass and Matthew stealing the book from the emperor, there was nothing. Just plans to do it and then the next paragraph was Matthew and Gallowglass walking into the house holding the book. I was fed up. 

I was also waiting for something bad to happen to Diana because of course something would, and it ended up being at the very end with an influential person and Matthew's sister Louisa. I really liked that Diana got to speak and see her dad in Elizabethan England and he helped her let go of her fears.

This took me so long to read and I am hoping that the show will be somewhat better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...