About the Book: A graphic novel biography of the American legend who inspired the hit Broadway musical Hamilton.
Alexander Hamilton was one of the most influential figures in United States history—he fought in the Revolutionary War, helped develop the Constitution, and as the first Secretary of the Treasury established landmark economic policy that we still use today. Cut down by a bullet from political rival Aaron Burr, Hamilton has since been immortalized alongside other Founding Fathers such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson—his likeness even appears on the ten-dollar bill. In this fully-illustrated and impeccably researched graphic novel-style history, author Jonathan Hennessey and comic book illustrator Justin Greenwood bring Alexander Hamilton’s world to life, telling the story of this improbable hero who helped shape the United States of America.
My Thoughts: I really need to read the book by Ron Cherow that started this current Hamilton obsession. I have listened to the musical multiple times and it's gotten to the point where if I hear a certain word, I will start singing any Hamilton song. Before the musical, I considered Alexander Hamilton a forgotten founding father. Nobody really talked about him that much. I only knew a couple things about him, but since listening to the musical, I have learned so much more about him. I didn't know he had a brother. Was his mom really a really a prostitute or was that just a rumor made up by her scorned first husband.
Reading this graphic novel, it gives you a illustrated look into his life. It did make me break out singing and I loved how it made me do that. It also got me researching words to understand the meaning.
About the Author: A graduate of Syracuse University, Jonathan has also done extensive work in film and television. He has been on the production crews of several noted film directors, including Wes Anderson’s Rushmore, Richard Linklater’s Suburbia and The Newton Boys, and Robert Rodriguez’s Spy Kids. He has worked as a screenplay and story analyst for Phoenix Pictures (Shutter Island, Black Swan, Zodiac) and Jerry Bruckheimer Television.
I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:
Post a Comment