Monday, October 22, 2018

Review: The Unquiet by Mikaela Everett

I have owned an ARC of this book since 2015 and I am just now getting to reading it and I am sad to say that it did not meet my expectations. I was expecting alien invasions and fighting, but it was mainly following a girl who is training to take over her double's life and it was really really REALLY boring.

This girl named Lirael is a cottage girl. A cottage girl is a child who has bee taken from one Earth to another to be trained as a sleeper to eventually take over her double's life. We go through her thought process which is very dull and bland and very repetitive. The girls and boys at these cottages basically learn to live off the grid and the girls and boys are pitted against each other. They are brainwashed to think of only themselves and that friendships and relationships are dangerous and will eventually get them killed.

They have to watch hours upon hours of footage of their double to learn movements, sayings, gestures, ticks and how they act to be able to take their place. They also have to do extensive weapons training for when the time comes and Earth two invades Earth one.

I was very bored and the action and some of the war scenes didn't start until almost the very end and it was very predictable. I rate this a 2.5 out of 5 stars. Not great. Not original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...