Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Review: Curses & Smoke by Vicky Alvear Shecter


A few years ago Epic Reads put out an infographic that listed YA books through the beginning of time or ancient times to modern day. I had already read the first novel listed on the list, which was Sphinx's Princess and this was the second book listed. It takes place in Pompeii, months before Mt. Vesuvius erupts.

It is a historical romance between a rich Roman girl and a slave. This is the second book that I have read this month that had this trope and I am not mad one bit. This book is told from Lucia and Tages' perspectives. Lucia is concerned about the consistent tremblings underneath her feet and animal behavior and weather changes. Tages or Tag he just wants to become a Gladiator to become a freed man.

Lucia is betrothed to an older man and is doing everything she can to get out of the marriage. She and Tag reunite and plan to run away when the mountain erupts. The ending is not what I was expecting and I enjoyed all of the historical facts that the author included in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...