Sunday, July 19, 2020

Review: Ember Queen by Laura Sebastian


A series completed this year and I am sad to see it finished. I am glad that I hosted a blog tour for the second book couple of years ago that introduced me to this series and I have been antsy to find out if Theodosia would get her country freed.

Before I read this book, I finished another series where I was confused about what the heck was going on for a good half of the book. I feared that I would feel the same way about this one. In the very first chapter, it does a small recap of what happened at the end of book two and it was a great memory jog.

We start the book of with Theo stumbling out of the fire mine with no recollection of what happened. We follow her plans to retake each of the elemental mines where the spirit gems are mined for jewelry purposes for the Kalovaxians and the source of power for the enslaved Astreans. While trying to liberate the mines, she has to harness her own power that was made stronger by her new enemy, the Kaiserin and her time in the fire mine.

I loved all the action scenes and some of the plot twists and the dream sequences. The love triangle if it could be called that between Blaise, Theo and Soren was quite cute, but I was rooting for Soren and was not expecting the beginning of a sex scene. It also has some LGBTQ+ representation with Theo's cousin Artemisia being Lesbian and maybe asexual. There are mentions of rape and there is a misogynist Kalovaxian asshole.

I give this book a 5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...