Saturday, July 4, 2020

Review: One Of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManus


One Of Us Is Next was a book that I did not have high expectations for. Being the sequel to a book that I disliked and had issues with, I figured that it would be a similar train wreck. It is set in the same setting with returning characters as minor characters and 3 new front runners who are in the middle of an all new gossip war.

We follow Phoebe, Knox and Maeve. They are connected with the group from the first book. Instead of trying to figure out who murdered someone, this type we get a Truth or Dare text game. Someone named Unknown is texting all the students at Bayview High. This person is giving someone of his choosing 24 hours to respond with Truth or Dare. If they don't respond, they forfeit and one of their darkest secrets gets texted out.

There is betrayal, blackmail, death threats, sexual assault, alcohol abuse and bullying.

While reading this, I kept comparing it with the first book which was also the authors debut book and she has really grown as a writer. The characters had great character building and there wasn't any unbelievable moments. I enjoyed this book a whole lot more because of  the Truth or Dare plot. Also, I have read all three of this authors books so far and the book Two Can Keep a Secret and this one, has the best endings that I was NOT expecting. I don't remember the ending to the first and that says something.

I will definitely be continuing to read Karen M McManus' work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...