Monday, December 28, 2020

Review: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

 



Why didn't I read this sooner? The famous six words every person says when they fall in love with a backlist book that was hyped when it was released. I planned on reading this in three days. That did not happen. I started this book on Saturday night and I finished it on Sunday night. I read this in less than 24 hours. It was a fast paced, edge of your seat, heart stopping, grisly, tear jerker about a 16 year old Lithuanian girl and her family being dragged from their home and being deported to work labor camps in Siberia.

It is in 1941 and Stalin has invaded the Baltic states. Anyone and almost everyone is deemed a threat and deported. It's not really talked about because the survivors are scared to talk about because they can still be killed for it. The Americans were allied with the Soviets in WW2 and I never knew about this part of history when learning about it in school. It is still being covered up. 

I really enjoy Ruta Sepetys writing and her characters just grab at your heart and doesn't let go. She is also very good at making you come up with your own guesses of how the characters end up. I read Salt to the Sea last year and really loved it as well. She is becoming a favorite author of mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...