Sunday, December 13, 2020

Review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians series ( Graphic Novels) by Rick Riordan

 I have read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series years ago and reviewed them on my blog. back in October, I decided to get the graphic novels for my oldest daughter to read because she expressed interest in reading the series and I know that she loves reading graphic novels. She flew through these and is now reading the Heroes of Olympus series. She wanted me to read the graphic novels so she could talk to me about them and I decided to add them to my December TBR and review them once again on here. I am going to be giving maybe one or two sentences about each one and they will all be in this post.


1. The Lightning Thief


I gave this a 3 out of 5 stars. I found that a lot of the story was cut out and for people who have not read the novels, I feel that they would be lost and miss out on some important information. The oracle was wearing a skimpy dress and it seemed way to sexualized for me. The Lotus Hotel parts were condensed and it was more like a passing glance. 


2. The Sea of Monsters


I gave this one a 4 stars. The art style is my favorite and I loved how the scene where Grover was preparing for his wedding was drawn. The thing that annoyed me was that it didn't add the good parts of the Circe and her island and all the mice and Percy's time being a animal. It also didn't include Blackjack and his captivity on the cruise ship. It didn't even mention the name of the ship.


3. The Titan's Curse


I give this installment a 3 out of 5 stars. Reading this just solidified my assumption that important information was cut out because Blackjack is prominent and helpful to Percy during the quest and also the name of Luke's cruise ship was mentioned. It also talks about Krono's golden coffin. I definitely recommend reading the full book first before picking these up and "re-reading".


4. The Battle of the Labyrinth. 


Right away when I picked this one up, I knew that the art style was different. The art style in the first three installments were more rough and some of the characters looked butch, especially Clarisse. In this installment, the characters are more cartoony and saturated in color. The character Clarisse looks more girl like and it gives me an anime feeling. I also liked how there were more of the story involved and it wasn't choppy and bouncing from one scene to the next. It has more action scenes and it seems like it is trying to be like a comic book with all the noise words. I ended up giving this a 3 out of 5 stars. 


5. The Last Olympian


The art style is the same as book 4 and I just don't know how to feel about these graphic novels as a whole. I totally forgot about Luke's mom being in this one and Rachel going into Manhattan. I love the mythology part of this series, but I just feel like it was rushed and that it was turned into an action comic and not a graphic novel. I may not pick up the Heroes of Olympus graphic novels because I really love those and how I picture the characters in my head would not be the same. 

So my rating for the overall graphic novel is a 3 star. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Alice in Borderland volume 1 by Haro Aso *spoilers* PART 2

  I decided to split my blogpost for volume 1 into 2 because it would be hella long and I wasn't about that. Plus having the first part ...