Thursday, June 17, 2021

REVIEW: Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee


This book has been one of those that has been on my Good Reads tbr shelf the longest. Since 2015, this book has been an interest and I finally decided to just pick it up and I don't know how I feel about it. I ended up giving it a 3 out of 5 stars. 

This is about a teen named Rosie who lives in a small town in Tennessee. I connected immediately with her living in a small southern town. I even saw myself in Rosie because she is a overweight teenager and she is constantly be judged by classmates, townsfolk, her aunt and her own mother. She overeats and she hates herself for it. She gets a treadmill for Christmas and she also gives herself food poisoning to lose weight. There were a lot of insults toward her that she was lazy and stupid and fat girl are dumb because the only thing that they think about is food.

Picking up this book, I did not know the extent of the fat shaming there was. I am an overweight person and I was overweight in high school. I could compare myself to Rosie on some aspects. But I do say that this has triggered me and my mental health has taken a beating from this book and the thoughts that have cropped back up. The first few pages felt like a slap in the face. The quarter mark had me putting this book down and just hating myself and crying. I did end up finishing the book and the ending was over really abruptly. I was not satisfied with how that car ride was.

Besides the overall weight issue, I also had the connection with Rosie and her intense and conflicting relationship with her aunt. Growing up, my mom and I always got into arguments. It felt like I was reading my journal whenever Rosie's aunt popped up or their arguments were the paragraphs I was reading. 

I don't recommend this book if you are struggling with weight or eating habits. Some people say that they loved watching Rosie grow, but if you are similar to Rosie, I swear to you that this will be a literal punch in the gut. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Is This A Cry For Help by Emily Austin

  DNF at 40%. I could not continue this whiplash. I was expecting some big drama surrounding the ex but finding out that she broke up with h...