A middle grade mythology book not written by Rick Riordan. I have been in a serious mythology kick this year and have read a lot of mythology books out loud to my kids. This is focused on Hispanic mythology. I was hesitant about reading this so soon after I read The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes because that is about Maya mythology and I had no idea if there would be similarities or same in general.
I can say that after reading this, that they are completely different mythologies and legends. I really enjoyed learning about the Hispanic mythology. I wish that this was also taught in school along with Greek and Roman. There is so many cultures in the world with their own mythology that deserves to be taught.
We follow Charlie who is now in foster care after his house burns to the ground and his parents have gone missing. He is living with a sweet old lady named Mrs. Wilson who has an obsession with dolls and children's toys. One day while Charlie is in school, he sprouts horns and feathers. Freaking out, he bumps into the school newspaper reporter who wants to do a story about him and his parents. She eventually finds out about the feathers and they both go on this quest to search for his parents and answers to why he is growing animal appendages.
Like I said earlier, I really enjoyed learning about the Hispanic legendary figures. I also has a lot of Spanish phrases and words. My oldest is learning Spanish and this was a great vocabulary lesson and pronunciation work. I can't wait to get to the sequel.

No comments:
Post a Comment