First book picked up for this months Buzzword reading challenge prompt. The buzzword is name or title. I have had this on my TBR for a while. I loved Sex and the City in my late teens and early 20's when my kids were newborns. I would watch the series on repeat. Thank you to the E channel for having 4 episodes on every day.
I did watch the first season of The Carrie Diaries and never got around to watching the second season because I was a few years out of high school at this point and was not interested in being subjected to watching teen drama, angst and misery and cat fights.
I picked this up because I knew that if I didn't, I never would and I would eventually unhaul it. Basically, if you have watched the first season, then you are not missing out on this book, so needless to say it was a good enough adaptation.
We follow a teen Carrie Bradshaw and her high school friends trying to get through senior year. There is a new kid in town that becomes the talk of the halls. The name Sebastian Kydd is on every ones lips and Carrie is getting tired of it. She eventually forms a relationship with Sebastian and becomes enemies with the most popular girl and her best friend.
There is a lot of slut shaming and there is a gay character who is a part of Carrie's friend group. She is the typical teenager who has dreams but when a guy enters the picture, all senses and dreams take a back seat. I ended up giving this a 3 out of 5. The first half was pretty boring and repetitive, but I ended up flying through the second half because it was more antsy and dramatic.

No comments:
Post a Comment