I found out the week before the show came out that this was being adapted and I immediately requested the books from my library and the hype is real. I am not going to go into much detail about the syniopsis because I feel that everyone and their mothers know about this series and how it is about two boys who become friends and start a relationship.
To be honest, I did give this a 5 star at the time of finishing, but I have since dropped my rating to a 4 star because I realize that in the moment, this is cute, fluffy and pulls at your heartstrings but it just didn't stick with me as I have forgotten mostly what has happened. I remember the sexual harrassment that Charlie endures from the guy he is seeing and that Nick befriends Charlie and invites him to try out for the rugby team. Also Nick has the best doggo named Nellie who could rival my dog for cuteness.
I loved how volume 2 just picked up where volume 1 left off, and it did hurt my heart to see Charlie crying over the events in the first book. My mama heart just wanted to smother him with cuddles and give him the love he is so desperately wanting. I wanted to be angry with Nick for how he did Charlie but his confusion over his own identity was just as sad and the fact that he had to look up bisexuality and couldn't go to anyone to talk and get one on one was jarring.
I did feel like Charlie was a little too cutesy at times and it was really cringy and I definitely had some second hand embarassment. I love how he acted when he got the picture of them in the snow with Nellie. That has to be my favorite part and also the journal entries at the very end took me down memory lane of when me and my husband started dating in high school and I wrote in my diary every day. I still have it and once again I do get a cringe when I read it.
I will be watching the show soon as I know that the first season covers the first two volumes but I also need to read the third volume before Monday because it is due back to my library and sadly my little hick county has one copy to share between 7 libraries and there are like 50 holds on them.


No comments:
Post a Comment